“Sharing the good news of Jesus, hearing amazing stories, and having lots of family fun!”
29th May-2nd June 2019; Houndwell Park, Southampton, SO14 1JY.
At the end of May, churches across Southampton are getting together once again to hold ‘Church in the Park’, a free, five-day, public event in the city centre. Have you signed up to get involved yet?
This five-day event will combine live music, great testimonies and a powerful message, enabling us to share the good news about Jesus with the people of Southampton. The event will be run from a marquee in Houndwell Park, where there will be three meetings each day, as well as a range of fun activities and an early-evening BBQ.
This is a fantastic opportunity for the churches in Southampton to work together to provide local people with the chance to hear about Jesus and experience church in an accessible way, taking the message of the gospel to where the people are.
Schedule for the week:
Wednesday to Saturday:
- During the day: The Church in the Park team will spend time in the neighbourhoods, streets and parks of our city, chatting to people, sharing the gospel, and giving out invitations to come to ‘Church in the Park’ at the marquee.
- 12pm: A family-friendly meeting in the marquee, with live worship music, engaging testimonies, and a clear explanation of the gospel - ideal for people who aren’t used to going to church or who are new to the Christian faith.
- 1-4pm: A range of fun activities around the marquee.
- 4pm: A second family-friendly meeting in the marquee, with live worship music, engaging testimonies, and a clear explanation of the gospel - ideal for people who aren’t used to going to church or who are new to the Christian faith.
- 5.15pm: A BBQ for everyone.
- 7.30pm: A magazine-style gathering in the marquee, with performance pieces, amazing stories of lives changed by Jesus, and a short gospel message, all rounded off with a time of worship and prayer. The evening gatherings will be especially ideal for Christians to invite their friends and family to, to see and hear the good news about Jesus for themselves.
Life Church will hold their Sunday service in the marquee in the morning. This will be followed by baptisms and a picnic in the park from about 1pm, which is open to everyone. It would be great if people from all different churches could come along and celebrate the baptisms together.
How to Get Involved:
During Church in the Park in 2017, over 100 people from 20 churches in Southampton were involved in volunteering in some way, and we'd love to see that many people serving again this year. It takes a whole host of volunteers to put on this five-day event, and there's opportunity to use your unique gifts and skills in different serving areas. Could you take some time off work to be involved with the event? If you’re not able to do that, could you sign up to serve for just an evening or weekend session?
Some of the roles you can sign up for are:
- Serving tea and coffee
- Helping with afternoon activities
- Helping with the BBQ
- Set up on the Tuesday and pack down on the Sunday
To volunteer, you need to register in advance on Eventbrite. This costs £10, which goes towards administrative costs and pays for your Church in the Park 2019 t-shirt. Once registered, you will be contacted closer to the event to find out your availability and which areas you would like to help with. You'll be able to volunteer for just part of a day/days, a whole day/days, or the whole event.
You can find out more about volunteering, in the promotional video at the bottom of this page. Make sure you join the team and be part of the adventure!
Other ways you can get involved
- Pray – We recognise that although we can plan, prepare and serve, only God can change people’s hearts, so please be praying that God will work by his Spirit to transform many lives. Please pray for all those who will have the opportunity to hear the gospel during the event, that they will meet Jesus and ultimately decide to follow him, and please pray for all the practicalities and for the team. We will also be gathering for a prayer meeting in the marquee on the Tuesday evening before the event starts, and would love as many people as possible to join us for this.
- Invite friends – This event provides a great opportunity to invite family, friends and neighbours to hear the gospel in an informal and less intimidating setting, so start thinking about who you could invite to one of the afternoon or evening meetings.
- Share the event on social media – Start spreading the word about this great event!
- Experience ‘one church’ in Southampton – Come along to the marquee and be encouraged and inspired as we hear testimonies and worship God together.
Church In The Park is an event organised by Southampton Christian Network. You can find out more about the event on their website, and keep up to date with the latest information by following them on Facebook. If you have any questions about the event, please email email@example.com.
Take a look at the promotional video for volunteers: