Joining a team is a great place to start when you’re new to a church. It’ll help you get to know some other people straight away, and you’ll quickly feel like you belong. It’s also a great way to use your gifts and skills (or discover new ones!) and to serve God and your community.
We have lots of groups, projects and activities running throughout the week, but joining one of our Sunday teams is probably the best place to start. It takes a whole host of people to ensure our Sunday services run smoothly, and most of these people volunteer their time.
Here are a few of the areas you could get involved with:
- Welcoming: We aim to provide a warm and genuine welcome to everyone attending one of our church services, and also to help any visitors feel at home, providing them with any information they need and connecting them with others in our community. If you’re a friendly person, you’d be a great addition to one of our welcome teams!
- Stewarding: Our stewards help to ensure the safety of people at church, are the first point of contact for anyone who needs help during a service, and would help with a safe evacuation of the building in the event of a fire. If you’re calm and friendly, then this role would be ideal for you.
- Serving refreshments: We love to show hospitality to people arriving at church; the type of refreshments offered varies between each of our different Sunday services, but they all need dependable volunteers to prepare them and help serve them. If you’re reliable and practical, you’ll fit right in here!
- Helping with set up/pack down: There are always lots of tasks that need doing to get a room or building ready for a service, whether that’s putting out chairs, setting up the welcome desk or displaying banners, and all these things need packing away again afterwards. Our set up/pack down teams make sure that everything is ready when people arrive at church, and that all equipment is safely stored away afterwards for the next week. This is the team to join if you like practical and active tasks.
- Running the visual and audio tech systems: Our audio/visuals teams make sure that everyone can see and hear what’s happening in the service, displaying the words for the worship songs and slides for the talk, and ensuring the worship band sound at their best. If you have good basic computer skills, then you’d be a whizz at running our visuals system; if you’re more technically-minded then why not consider our audio team instead?
- Helping with the children’s work or youth work: Children and youth are an important part of our church, and we offer high-quality, Bible-based activities at both our morning services, to help children and young people grow in their relationship with God. It takes a team of several volunteers each week to be able to offer activities in age-appropriate groups. All our volunteers working with children and youth undergo our safe-recruitment process to ensure they are suitable to work with children. This is the team to join if you’re enthusiastic, reliable, and get on well with young people.
- Playing in one of our worship bands: Our worship teams are more than just musicians – they’re made up of people who have a heart for worshipping God through music. If you’re able to play an instrument and are passionate about worship, then this may be an area for you to get involved in.
All of our Sunday teams run on a rota, so you wouldn’t be serving every week, and training would be provided, where required. A couple of our teams might require some time in the week to prepare – for example, our worship teams – but you would always be told about this before you signed up.
If you’d like to join a team, or would like to find out more about the different volunteer roles available, please speak to a member of the welcome team or a service host at the Sunday service you attend.